If like us you have children’s artworks, drawings & paintings displayed across your fridge, chances are you have a lot of magnets too. These one-of-a-kind Mothers Day Salt Dough Magnets are perfect for showing off your children’s artworks! (They also happen to be some pretty special artworks in themselves!) They’re useful, inexpensive and won’t collect dust in the cupboard like a lot of your past Mothers Day gifts!
Mr3, Miss2 & Miss17m joined me in the kitchen this week to make their Mum some magnets to hold their ever-growing collection of art work (#hellocraftynanny)! Combining math as we measured the ingredients, to pouring & mixing (with hands of course!), added a fun sensory element to our Mothers Day craft!
So run along to the kitchen & get bakin’, makin’ & creatin’ with the kids to make these Mothers Day Salt Dough Magnets!
Hot (or temp safe) Glue Gun
Washable Kids Paint
Step 1. Make your Salt Dough using our FREE Printable Recipe!
Step 2. Once your Salt Dough is cooked & cooled, you can start painting! We used Micador Easy Wash Paint.
Step 3. Using a hot glue gun (or safe temp glue gun), place a magnet on the back of each Salt Dough shape.
Step 4. Finish by sealing with a spray sealer, clear dry glue or Mod Podge.
Tips & Tricks!
- We added extra flour whilst kneading to stop it from sticking to the board. I found adding more to the original mix made the dough too dry. But adding it throughout the kneading process made it just right!
- Remember to place the dough on baking paper to avoid sticking.
- If the oven is too hot they will rise and cook.
- Keep the oven as low as possible to dry them out. You can place another tray & a heavy weight on top to keep them from rising (this works well for the magnets as you need them to be flat.)
- The thicker the dough, the longer they need to dry.
- Flip your Salt Dough Magnets as they dry to thoroughly dry out.
Don’t forget to grab your FREE recipe printable! The batch is quite big & would make A LOT of Salt Dough Magnets so if you’re looking for another activity to use up the rest of the Dough, we have shared how to make these Mothers Day Salt Dough Necklaces on Nanny Shecando! Because Mum’s can never have too many necklaces!
If you’re showered with beautiful flowers over Mothers Day, check out our 5 Activities for Kids to do with Dying Flowers post we shared last month!
Happy Mothers Day!